Frequently Asked Questions – Alumni - 鶹ýUniversity


Photo of Kasser and College Hall.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I get an Alumni ID card?
A: You can request a card by calling the Office of Alumni Engagement at 973-655-4141 or by filling out the . If you plan to come to campus to use facilities such as Sprague Library, or the Computer Lab located on the fifth floor of University Hall, you will also need to obtain a campus photo ID card  (there is a small fee of $5.00 to cover the cost of the card). The campus photo ID card is issued by the ID Card Office in the Student Center. You must bring your printed alumni ID Card with you to the ID Card Office as proof of your alumni status.

Please note: In the event, your photo ID card is lost, stolen, or damaged, there is a replacement fee of $20.00 for a new card.

ID Card Office Location & Hours

  • Monday – Friday  8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Student Center, 1st floor (Behind the computer lab)

Q: How do I update my information?
A: You may update your information through our or by signing onto . To request any official changes such as name or address, please contact the Office of Advancement Services at

Q: How do I announce my news or accomplishments for classmates to see?
A: To have your entry included in a future Class Notes section of Montclair, the magazine of 鶹ýUniversity, please submit your class notes to: Be sure to include your full name, year of graduation, and daytime phone number. You may also visit our website to learn other ways to share your news.

Q: What career resources are available to me as a graduate?
A: Many career resources are available to you for life. We invite you to take advantage of our range of resources and services. Visit the Career Resources page to learn about career counseling, view recorded workshops and webinars, and more.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my transcript?
A: Official transcripts may be requested through the via two methods (see below). Students may request their transcript 24 hours a day. For full details on the transcript services available, please visit the Request Transcripts.

  1. Electronic delivery (eTranscript) – sent via a secure certified official PDF format within 24 hours to the email address you indicate through the National Student Clearinghouse. Please note there is a $3.90 processing fee for each recipient’s email address you indicate. **The electronic option is not available to students who attended the university prior to 1990. You must request a standard mail transcript.**
  2. Standard Mail – The transcript will be mailed via regular first-class US Postal Service within 72 hours of receipt. There is a $5.75 processing fee.

If you have any questions about our transcript services, please contact Red Hawk Central for support.

Q: I lost my diploma. How can I request a replacement?
A: Alumni can order a replacement diploma easily online at for a charge of $11.68 plus shipping and handling. You will be able to choose Standard Delivery or Express Overnight. Your diploma will be printed and mailed to you within one to two business days. For more information, about obtaining a replacement diploma click here.

Q: Does 鶹ýUniversity provide email addresses for alumni?
A: Alumni have access to a free permanent email account that NEVER changes and is affiliated with Montclair State. To create your account, sign into MONTCLAIRconnect and visit the Gmail for Life page.

Q: How can I get in touch with former classmates?
A: You may search the exclusive in MONTCLAIRconnect by name, class year, major, company, and more. You may also submit your “Find A Friend” request by email or by calling 973-655-4141.

Please note that the privacy of our alumni is very important to us and we have a strict policy regarding inquiries. We do not release personal information about our graduates. However, if we have current contact information for the person you are trying to find, we are happy to send an email or a letter on your behalf with your contact information. This gives them the opportunity to contact you if they wish, while still maintaining their privacy.

Q: Where can I park on campus?
A: All visitors to campus are directed to park in the Red Hawk Parking Deck for a nominal hourly fee. The Red Hawk Deck is located to the left of Susan A. Cole Hall near Kasser Theater. A campus shuttle bus is available to take you from the deck to your campus destination. If you have any questions about parking on campus, please see the Parking Services page or call 973-655-5223.

Alumni parking permits allow parking in any Commuter Lot between 6:00 a.m. – 3:30 a.m. and Lot 19 (non-metered spaces) from 5:30 a.m. – 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. – 3:30 a.m. Monday-Friday. Parking is available all day Saturday and Sunday. An Alumni ID is required to obtain this permit and the cost for the permit is $25 per semester. Must not be registered for any class in the current semester. Permit is valid until the end of the current semester. To obtain a permit, contact Parking Services.

Q: As a graduate of 鶹ýUniversity, can I use the recreational facilities on campus?
A: Alumni can take advantage of the faculty/staff membership rate to the state-of-the art Student Recreation Center on campus. The recreation center features a variety of collaborative recreational offerings, including fitness and group exercise, intramural sports, special events, off-campus trips, sport clubs, co-sponsorships and more. For membership information and Recreation Center Hours, please visit the .

Q: How can I purchase a class ring?
A: Alumni interested in purchasing a class ring can contact Dave Handal ’86, Regional Manager, Commemorative Brands, inc., at .

Q: How do I make a gift to 鶹ýUniversity?
A: 鶹ýUniversity can accept gifts via many different methods. Online giving and gifts by mail are the most common. For more information, please visit our . Montclair State’s secure online giving form on the is the easiest and quickest way to make your gift.

Q: I work for a matching gift company. How do I secure a matching gift for 鶹ýUniversity?
A: Many employers sponsor matching gift programs and will match charitable donations made by their employees. Employer matching gifts can double or even triple your own contribution to 鶹ýUniversity! To find out if your employer has a matching gift policy, please visit our .

Q: Can I choose where I want my gift to be designated?
A: Yes. While unrestricted funds are always needed, many alumni choose to designate a gift to any department, college, scholarship fund, or other academic program at the University. You can choose to designate your online gift or contact the Office of Annual Giving at 973-655-7492 or